Tuesday, July 12, 2011

First Crazy Quilt Block

I don't quilt or I should say know the right way to do it and I've always liked the look of crazy quilting. So yesterday, I took a class from Cindy who owns Hooked On Quilting here in Fayetteville. It was a little easier than I thought it would be, but I'm not finished yet. It is an 8 1/2" block. This is it now before the stitching and embellishing.

 I need to go thru and see what I have in the way of trims and laces, then get my threads and beads out to start stitching.I may leave this as a single block and finish it off or frame it. Time to decide that when it is complete.
Cindy suggested I go home and make another block while it was fresh to me but Sophie wanted my attention the rest of the day.

As far as the stitching is going I've been working on my SAL's. I have next parts to the  Romantique Sampler so I'm doing that and I've just got the July block for the 12 of Hearts BOM. The SAL with Yiota's Cross Stitch on Facebook is going slow , not even thru page 1 yet.
I did another ATC swap for July, I have it ready to mail, I haven't received mine from June yet. I was told it was on its way but Canada was having a postal strike. Will have to wait and see.
Well, I have to pick up my granddaughter, she's going to visit for a couple of days.

3 comments:

Lauren - Ambitious Stitches said...

Interesting quilt design! My stepmom is a quilter and I've always wanted to learn how to do it. I've never seen a crazy quilt block before, but this definitely looks like something that would be fun to make!

Cathy K said...

Hi Sheila and thanks for visiting my blog! Your colors are lovely, and I think you will have a ball embellishing this. Make sure that you break up that long vertical seam with embellishment, like putting a floral motif over it or meandering a ribbon across it. My friend Gerry K has a great blog for newbies and us oldbies alike where she discusses art techniques in CQ. And let me know if you are in need of stash items - I have tons to share! Hugs, Cathy K

Sheila said...

You will love making the crazy blocks , I have been making them from my scraps for a year now but I don't do a lot of fancy embellishments ,have fun with it and nice to discover your blog .